Wednesday, 20 August 2014

August update

We've had a busy couple of weeks and I've struggled to find time to write. So what have we been up to besides using an abundance of courgettes?

We've had help from the Dads. Dad P has been busy sourcing a free greenhouse with glass that fits (We priced up getting replacement glass and it would cost almost the same as a new greenhouse!) The plan is to get it up over the bank holiday weekend but will have to see how reliable the British weather is for that one. Dad W has been helping dig up the first of our potatoes (not an easy job for a one armed gardener) as well as weeding.

Mark started at the front of the plot, I started at the back of the growing area and we worked towards the middle removing the weeds. Mark and the junior Ps have been covering the ground with wood chips as  we've gone. We're finding that the weeds have come back where the wood chips are shallow however just a quick rake and they come out, far easier than hoeing. There's been a couple of perennial weeds that have come back but they were quickly dealt with.

Just got a small section left to weed in the middle. Also need to weed the right side flower bed then put the bark down.

Debating now what to put on the paths between the flower beds and the main growing area. Currently there's a strip of grass and docks but could tie it in with the rest and bark it or go with something different such as slabs. Jury's still out on that one.

The purple sprouts and broccoli that I rescued have all been nibbled by the rabbit. The little blighter managed to get under the net. Part of the Autumn/Winter prep will have to be making sturdier cages so we have better luck next year.

Think my next post will have to be a look back at what we've achieved this year as it is almost a year since we took on the plot.

No comments:

Post a Comment